Like Lemmings used to say “Oh no!”. It’s mid-February, and I haven’t came up with anything new for this a <coming back> blog… This is embarrassing.
I did not bury the idea though. I have been continuously reading code, trying to understand code and practice. The steps are tiny however and progress is hardly visible. Stamina is shaking.
The one thing that keeps me busy since a long time, is a nice stars routine I found at Legacy SCAT webpage:
This is the rightmost one.
Yes, dots. I love dots. Star dots in particular. The source code lacks of good comments, and it is rather hard for 30+ years old rookie to understand the flow, data structures and tricks. Interruptions do not make the learning process easier too. I still don’t know how to debug and play with that code in a right way.
What keeps me smiling still and make that effort worthwhile, even though you can not monetize that, are the emotions and fun when another brick in that hecking wall is coming crashing down. A brick of ignorance. Hell yeah!
Auto zoom hurts. At least in FS-UAE. The story is short, but actually it took me (it hurts…) a week or so to find the guilty.
I was playing with totally basic Copper stuff. Two bars moving up and down, up and down. And up and down. Until you press LMB.
That simple code worked but the bars were extremely slow, freeze actually, when moving through middle of the screen. I still did not buy a new computer, and still using that T60 with core solo crappy Intel, but come on! Two copper bars?
I was playing a bit with fs-use performance settings – video_sync, accuracy, A500 instead of A1200. To no avail. Is this really that hard to emulate Copper?
By an accident, and somehow inspired by that “auto” lines printed to the FS-USE stdout, I pressed F11 and zoom mode was changed to full what… made a huge difference. It was like a boost ;)
And I can go to bed now. Thank you F11.
Aside from other projects I’ve been trying to move forward, back to Amiga coding is one of the most important ones. You may ask why… It is hard to explain (since English is not my 1st language as you might have noticed ;) but in short, this is simply something I want to push beyond level I “achieved” in 90s (I have to refresh all that stuff first!). The road to hell is paved with good intentions, some say. Usually they are right.
Since a month or so, I’ve been moving step by step, using the following setup:
- FS-UAE running 3.0 Kickstart, booted up with Trash’m One 2.0 floppy disk.
- A Linux path mounted in FS-UAE as an Amiga hard drive, to store source files.
- gVim as an editor.
All the editing is done in gVim (it has 680×0 syntax coloring). Don’t know yet how to trigger a quick reread of the source file in Trash’m One once I modified it in editor, but will get to that :)
With my current hardware, I am not able to run two Amiga emulators in parallel as vikke does, but for now it is not a problem to me. I am playing with simple stuff that is not crashing so often yet.
Speaking of stuff. I came across a very nice video tutorial being developed by Photon/Scoopex. It is hosted on ScoopexUs youtube profile. What is important, the tutorial is not a gem from the ancient times. The most recent part is dated for September this year! Highly recommended.